In November 2008, Chi Cheng (bass player of Deftones) suffered a car accident that caused him to be hospitalised in a semi-conscious state for 4 years.
With the cost of medical bills mounting, devout Deftones fan Gina Blackmore started the ‘One Love For Chi’ charity and with 100% of donations going to Chi’s care, therapy and needs, amazing goals were accomplished including moving Chi’s care across the country from New Jersey to Los Angeles.
Sadly on the 13th of April 2013 after a long uphill struggle, Chi passed away.
In March 2013 Em Van Duyts, UK Publicist for Deftones, took part in the #MYCANVASJOURNEY campaign with Converse Accessories and her Canyon Duffel bag. She saw this as an opportunity to raise awareness for Chi’s charity, and to help a friend. Heading out on tour for a month she set about getting every band she met along the way to add their signatures to her bag including (amongst others): Deftones, The Bronx, You Me At Six, letlive. The Ghost Inside, and Gallows and Skindred. The bag has now been filled with a treasure trove of goodies including:
· The entire Deftones back catalogue on cd
· A drum skin signed by Deftones
· Signed limited edition ‘Covers’ vinyl
· VIP Reading/Leeds Festival Tickets
· VIP tickets to Vans Warped Tour UK
· A signed Deftones setlist
· A signed Bronx setlist
· A selection of used drumsticks from the bands (Deftones, The Bronx, letlive.)
· A 1 year subscription to Rock Sound magazine
· A 1 year subscription to Kerrang! Magazine
· A limited edition Gaslight Anthem boxset and screen print poster
· Swag from Converse, Johnny Cupcakes, Rebel 8, Brixton and The Hundreds and much, much more.*
· Merch and other goodies from a host of bands including: Hyro da Hero, Twin Atlantic, The Gaslight Anthem, Lower Than Atlantis, The Ghost Inside, Dave Hause, Less Than Jake and much more!
From now until the 9th of August this bag and its contents will be raffled off to raise money to support Journey For Jessica, a great friend to the Cheng family who shared the same ward as Chi.
To enter simply donate $1, or more if you can, to One Love For Chi and write ‘EmsBag’ in the Donation Box and a winner will be selected at random on the 9th of August, 2013.